This time of year, I find that I am motivated to give to others whenever I possibly can! Over the past 8 months, many people have reached out to help me and my family. Miss. Gabi and Trevor are among many who went out of their way to help me. Though we have to remember that there are many ways to help others, some are obvious such as giving money to the poor, or giving Christmas gifts to children in need. However, there are some small, often overlooked ways to show others that you care about them and that they are appreciated. Here's a short list of suggestions on how to give to others any time of the year, not just close to the holidays!
1. donate old clothes, books, toys, etc. to thrift stores
2. help elderly or differently abled people by holding the door for them or offering to get their groceries to their car
3. simply acknowledging someone who seems like they're having a bad day
4. Thanking people for their small acts of kindness
5. volunteering at shelters, soup kitchens, local non-profit organizations, etc.
Using the list above, you can come up with more specific ways to give year round! Most of all, follow your heart, if you feel the urge to help someone, go for it! And always stick to the Golden Rule, "treat others the way you want to be treated". Hopefully your experience will be similar to mine, because my heart is filled by giving to and helping others. Happy Holidays and "Happy Giving"!